Array
Appliances

This One Home Appliance Can Cause A Fire

Hint: Did you straighten your hair this morning?

Shares
Photography: Kurt Alvarez (Main Photo-dresser)

One morning in 2009, homeowner (and March 2017 Makeover Winner) Princess Romero was rushing to work, according to this article by Sunshine Funa. Unfortunately, she accidentally forgot to do one important thing: unplug her hair iron.

Her older sister, who was staying in an adjacent room, soon saw smoke coming out from underneath the door of Princess’s room. The family panicked, and the father tried to put out the flames, which nearly consumed the entire room, but he suffered burns to his arms.

Aside from the father, no other members of the family sustained any injuries, and Princess had the happy ending of winning a makeover of her room. But how many other fires could happen because of this innocent hair-styling appliance?


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Apparently, any hair straightener or heat-generating styling tool can pose a fire risk in your home, according to this article on ismyhomesafe.ca. A hair straightening iron or curling iron is especially tricky, because unlike hair dryers, these do not make a sound when turned on.

The appliance per se is safe to use, but if you leave the appliance turned on and heating up on top of a combustible material like a wooden tabletop or a bed, then that could potentially cause a fire. So what can you do to avoid this dangerous accident?

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
  • First, don’t store the appliance until it’s completely cooled down, office-lateness-be-damned.
  • Second, unplug the appliance right after using it. 
  • Also, wrap the cord around the appliance once it’s cooled, as the cord itself can pose a strangling or tripping danger to children.
  • Third, get inspiration from this hack and take a photo of your unplugged hair straightener before you leave the house—it sounds silly, but you can always check your phone to see if you’ve actually unplugged the thing. (While you’re at it, you might want to take a photo of your stove, too!)

More on Realliving.com.ph

Shares
Recommended Videos

Latest Stories

Maggie Wilson's Casa Consunji Will Make Your Tropical Dream Home Possible

The store boasts of modern signature pieces made from natural elements.

5 Steps to Starting Your Own Organic Container Garden of Herbs and Vegetables

You don't need a green thumb to grow your own veggies and herbs at home.

7 Ideas to Make Your Small Bathroom Look Big

It's important to be smart about how you decorate and organize.

5 Reasons Child-Sized Furniture Is a Worthy Investment for Your Home

For one, smaller furniture is much safer for young kids to use.

7 Stores to Shop for Kids and Child-Sized Furniture (Beds, Chairs and Tables, and More)

Let your child's personality shine by choosing unique pieces for her room!

The Favorite Furniture Stores of Manila's Most Discerning

If luxe and exceedingly stylish furniture is what you're after, check this list out.

Porcelain vs Ceramic for Bathroom Tiles: Here's How and What to Choose

Should you go for porcelain tiles or ceramic tiles? A licensed interior designer gives her advice

10 Cute Pots for Your Plant Babies

Give your little green friends the home they deserve!

Andi Manzano Offers a Peek at Her Line of Child-Sized Furniture (Available in October!)

The actress collaborated with a home store that specializes in furniture for babies and kids.

Where to Find Wall Stickers for Your Child's Bedroom (No Need for a New Paint Job!)

You can get wall stickers in lots of unique colors and designs.

'Walang Trabahong Pang-Forever': 5 Lessons on Investing from Dimples Romana

Dimples and her husband have been investing in real estate properties since 16 years ago when they got married.

Take Note: Here's How Often You Should Wash Your Bed Sheets

There's a recommended general rule of thumb you should remember.
Load More Stories

Get inspiring design ideas and handy hints.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!