We've Got Everything You Need To Know About Garden Lighting
More than making an outdoor area look good, lighting can make your garden safe, secure, and more useful
Most homeowners install lights in their gardens for aesthetic reasons. They want to make their outdoor areas look attractive at night by focusing light on well-trimmed plants, stately trees, captivating fountains, and waterfalls. However, landscape architects and designers know for a fact that aesthetics is not the only reason why choosing the right lighting pieces for a garden is important.
1. It extends the usefulness of the garden.
With the use of landscape lights, hanging out in the garden is no longer limited to daytime, but can be extended long after the sun has set. Garden parties and al fresco dining after dawn can become possible with overhead lighting, hanging lanterns, flood lamps and the like.
2. It prevents possible accidents during unpredictable weather.
During the evening, it is imperative for people not only to see where they are going but also to discern changes in elevation, uneven ground, and wet surfaces. By placing path lights or mushroom lights alongside walkways, people passing by can be guided and become more aware of their surroundings.
3. It keeps your home secure.
Lights installed in the garden can be focused on dark areas where intruders can possibly hide. Halogen lights with motion-activated sensors are ideal for this purpose—they automatically switch on whenever something moves in front of them.
4. It is low-maintenance.
Most garden lights are weatherproof and waterproof. When purchasing lights for the outdoors, it is necessary for them to be both. This means that they can remain operational and safe even during strong rains and thunderstorms—thanks to silicone seals found inside the light's housing.
Don't know what type of lights to use in your outdoor space? Check these out:
- Bollard. This type of light is low-to-the-ground and is perfect for lighting up pathways and sidewalks.
- Ground mounted. This type of light can be hidden within foliage and used as an uplight to provide drama to large plants. It can also be fitted with different-colored gels for lighting effects.
- Freestanding lamp. Made out of different weatherproof materials, the freestanding lamp can be easily moved to different locations in the garden as long as there is a power source nearby.
- Wall-mounted. Whether for decorative or security purposes, this type can sweep a large-enough area with light.
- Lamp post. Used mostly in public plazas and parks, a lamp post can be used in a large garden as it can illuminate a bigger area than most lighting types.
WHERE TO BUY:
- Rockwell Drive corner Estrella Street Rockwell Center, Makati City
- (02) 397-1888
- Starmall Prima, Taguig City
- (02) 842-7016
- Lower G/F, Robinsons Galleria, Park Ave. EDSA cor. Ortigas Ave., Quezon City
- (02) 633-6628
Main photo: babaloocafe.net
A part of this article originally appeared ("Garden De-Light") in the March 2008 issue of Real Living Magazine.
More on Realliving.com.ph