DIY: An Affordable Lamp Makeover for Under P500
Transform an old and boring fixture into a statement piece for your table
If you are looking for just one piece to instantly improve your home, you should consider a table lamp. You read that right: a table lamp! A table lamp is important because it can immediately brighten up any space. It also serves as a decorative piece for your side table or work desk.
For homeowners that want to spruce up an old table lamp, here is a 5-step DIY project worth trying.
- Choose and print a pattern on sticker paper for the lamp shade stencil! Simple patterns are best for beginners. However, if you feel confident, you can try patterns like medallions or damask.
RL Tip: Check out http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/pattern.html or http://www.fabnfree.com/category/design/patterns-design for free patterns.
- Cut out the printed pattern using scissors. For complicated patterns, you can use a cutter or an X-acto knife and a cutting mat.
- Clean the outer part of the lampshade with dry cloth or use a soft brush to remove dirt. Then, you should stick the cut pattern carefully on the surface of the lampshade. This is a bit tricky, so take your time in doing this.
RL Tip: Don't press the sticker paper too hard on the lampshade! This way, you can lift and re-adjust the sticker paper if it doesn't lay perfectly flat on the shade.
- When you're done fixing the pattern, spray paint or paint on the bare surface of the shade. When spray painting, remember to keep 30cm away and spray in a steady back and forth motion for an even coat. Let it dry completely.
- You can also update the lamp base by spray painting it. Choose a bright color that would complement your lamp shade.
Read the original article ("Stencil Shade") in the December 2014-January 2015 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App. Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
More on Realliving.com.ph