Easy DIY Halloween Décor Under P300
Create fun Jack-o’-Lantern pumpkins using just paper and balloons!
Before you buy expensive plastic decorative pumpkins from the store, try this fun DIY weekend project first with the kids. It won’t cost you more than P300 for several pumpkins, plus you’ll create rustic-looking jack-o’-lanterns that will make your front door stand out on your street.
Balloons · empty jam jars · white glue · orange Japanese paper · cutter · pencil · paintbrush
1. Inflate balloons (they can be of different sizes) and rest each on an empty jam jar. Cut ¾-inch strips of Japanese paper and set aside.
2. Dab white glue onto a small section of the balloon and vertically place a strip of paper. Using a paintbrush, apply glue over this strip, and then add another strip overlapping it. Continue around the balloon. Repeat steps until you get three layers. Set aside to dry.
3. When completely dry, pop the balloon—cut base with scissors. Pull out the deflated balloon through the hole around the knot.
4. With a box cutter, cut out the base and lid. “Carve” out the nose, eyes, and mouth of your Jack O’ Lantern with the cutter. You can create different “faces” and expressions!
5. Cover the facial holes with a single layer of yellow Japanese paper.
6. Light your pumpkin using a battery-powered lightbulb or a battery-powered votive candle (don’t use actual candles). You can get battery-powered votives from True Value. Arrange them around your doorstep in time for trick-or-treat!
More on Realliving.com.ph