Breathe new life into old Scrabble letters and transform them into fun coasters
On hot, lazy afternoons, it’s fun to play board games with a cool drink in hand. This DIY project puts a spin to that. If your Scrabble set is lacking way too many letters, this is the perfect way to have fun with words again. Spell out each family member’s name, or create coasters that read as sentences when put together. Don’t forget to add a glass of lemonade. Now can you spell: R-E-L-A-X?
Crafts by Dagny Madamba. Styling by Paula de Guzman. Photographed by Ocs Alvarez/ACME Innovatives.
- Old wooden scrabble letters
- Wood glue
- Varnishing or finishing spray
- Box cutter
- Cutting mat
1. Lay out six pieces of Scrabble letters and arrange them vertically. Arrange four pieces on one end horizontally. Lay out more pieces of Scrabble letters to form a square.
2. Glue the pieces onto a corkboard using wood glue. Glue the sides of the letters together as well.
3. Cut the corkboard around the edge of the formed square using a cutter and cutting mat.
4. Coat with several layers of varnish or finishing spray. Let dry.
Real Tip: Personalize your Scrabble coaster by spelling out names while laying them out on the corkboard. Paint over using watercolor before varnishing.