5 Styling Tips to Liven Up the Living Area
Make a design pro proud by making these necessary tweaks to your space
Decorating your entertainment area can be a real challenge. From choosing paint colors to pairing accessories, there are so many things that can go wrong. Don't worry, there is a simple way to do it—the secret? Sticking to the basics. Get started on sprucing up your space with these tips:
1. Warm it up. A fresh coat of paint is a no-fail way to give a room an instant lift and earth tones make living spaces more inviting. A neutral but non-receding shade like beige or tan will work well in almost any style of interiors, from traditional or Mediterranean to modern and Asian.
2. Frame the furniture. Most homes have open floor plans where the living and dining areas are situated in one room. An area rug defines and anchors a living area, creating an intimate and conversational space that is perfect for entertaining.
RL Tip: Make sure your rug is in proportion to your space. Get a rug that will fit underneath at least two large furniture pieces and one chair.
3. Set the mood. It's no secret that lighting is a game-changer—ambient, indirect lighting using table lamps is softer and more attractive than harsh, direct fluorescents or overhead lighting. Even the colors of your interiors will change, becoming warmer or rosier, depending on the color of your bulb.
4. Add texture. Breathe life into a plain couch by adding soft furnishings like pillows and throws with interesting patterns. You can also mix and match designs, but unify it all by keeping them in the same color scheme.
5. Select a few accessories. Add extra oomph with strategically placed accessories. Be careful not to display too many things or the room will end up looking cluttered.
RL Tip: Small accessories can also be rotated to different locations to change the look of the room on a whim.
Main photo: Homedit
Read the original article (Boring to Bongga!) in the September 2005 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App. Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
More on Realliving.com.ph