5 Important Styling Tricks For Your Home
We don't talk about these design rules enough
Whether you're a design pro or a budding enthusiast, there are some rules you've heard a thousand times over—add a pop of color, keep the accessories simple or play with texture. However, in reality, there's a lot more to styling a space than these basics. Here, we list down other important tricks that aren’t mentioned enough:
1. Do a balancing act. When working with heavy furniture, make sure that what you place on top of them is proportional to the furniture’s visual weight. For example, if you have a solid wood side table, try adding simple accessories like a lamp and a clock so it doesn’t seem too heavy and the area looks proportioned.
2. Make it modern. Contemporary times call for contemporary measures. Forego frumpy tablecloths that hide the table’s lines and use sleek placemats instead. This allows the table to stand out and be part of the décor as opposed to just being a functional piece.
3. Mix, don’t match. Though white plates are timeless, they can sometimes get boring. Try using different colored dinnerware and come up with your very own customized set.
4. Make a good investment. Items in the kitchen are the most used and their wear can easily be seen after some time, so invest in high-quality kitchenware that will last long. Also, well-made pieces will make you proud to put them on display.
5. Organize it. Arrange similar-use items together on the same shelves. Place often-used pieces like cutlery plates, and glasses on an easy-to-reach shelf, and the least-used items on the uppermost shelf. Make use of trays and catch-all caddies, too.
This snippet originally appeared in the September 2006 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App. Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
More on Realliving.com.ph