Design School: Dress Up Your Home
Turn fashion trends into home design inspiration
You can decorate your space the same way you adorn yourself. Bring your own sense of style into your house by taking inspiration from your closet. Your home will surely be an extension of yourself.
Here are a few tips:
1. Figure out your overall style. What style dominates your closet? Is your fashion sense preppy, trendy, or traditional? Take this as a cue and look for furniture pieces that match the line and character of your clothes.
2. Check the key elements. These are the details that make up your look. Do you wear bold or muted colors? Do you prefer solids or prints? Do you like things plain or embellished? Translate these into colors, upholstery patterns, and accessories.
3. Notice the textures. Tactile variety gives rooms a certain amount of depth. Layer your room the same way you layer your clothes. Pair shiny fabric with nubby tweed, smooth leather with sleek metal.
Take inspiration from these looks.
Picks and Styling by Issa Villar. Photographed by Ocs Alvarez.
Read the original article ("Express Yourself") in the October 2005 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App now! Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
It’s a laid-back style, sporty-sexy, but still very feminine.
- Lines: Clean, simple, industrial-inspired
- Colors: Solid primaries and brights plus metallics
- Patterns: A dash of bold, modern florals
What makes this prim style new? Pretty little details punched up with bold color accents.
- Lines: 1930s Art Deco curves
- Colors: Cool black, hot pink
- Textures: Nubby weaves, shiny leather, silky fabric
Carefree boho-Pinoy style is ethnic, earthy yet elaborate.
- Lines: Rustic and layered
- Colors: Neutrals with vibrant blue and red accents
- Materials: Indigenous weavings
Missed last week's design school? Read about it here: https://www.realliving.com.ph/tips-and-guides/design-school-the-basics-of-fabric-selection.
For more tips and guides, click here.