10 Commandments Of Proper Lighting
Light your home right with these helpful tips
Decorating our homes are a lot of fun—we continuously shop for different accessories and we pay attention to every little detail—but lighting usualy comes as an afterthought.
We often forget how much lighting impacts the beauty of our home, when in reality, it can make or break the look we're trying to achieve. If you thought lights are just for reading and doing chores at night, get a load of these tricks that will make your space truly glow:
1. Invest in high-quality light fixtures that suit your homes needs.
2. Research, research, research. Shop around and be patient in choosing your lights. Cross-check prices in stores that carry similar styles—lighting stores located in hardware depots are usually more affordable than those in malls.
3. If you can't find anything that suits your taste in-store, design your own light fixtures and have it custom-made by trusted lighting suppliers.
Try Keystone Lamps and Shades located at G/F, China Bank Building, Ortigas Avenue, San Juan City.
4. Take note of symmetry. Lighting always looks better when balanced. If you have a long dining table, two or three pendant lamps in a row would look perfect with it. A slim console table would look wonderful with identical table lamps perched on either side.
5. Immerse your home in natural light during the day. Keep your windows open and just draw the shades when the afternoon sun kicks in.
6. Protect your fabrics. Keep your silk-upholstered sofa away from the sun to keep it from fading. Give your space a warm glow with lamps instead.
7. Take note of colors. Yellow light enhances warm colors (yellow, orange, and red) while cool colors (blue, green and violet) look better in white light. Another thing is to consider is the purpose—warm, yellow light gives the space a relaxing ambience, while cool, white light is better for task areas like kitchens.
8. Be strategic with using spotlights. Highlight a wall without accessories with halogen direct downlighters.
Find halogen direct downlighters at Azcor Lamps located at 1014 Almeda Arcade, Arnaiz Avenue (formerly Pasay Road), Makati City.
9. Consider where to place controls and switches. You’ll want to control each light layer separately, so you can use the light in a variety of ways—accent lights while entertaining or enjoying a nightcap and task or general lights when doing household chores.
10. Don't be afraid to ask for help. If all else fails, seek the help of a pro.
This story is based on a previously published article ("Stellar Lights) in the July 2004 issue of Real Living Magazine. Main photo is by certified-lighting.com.
More on Realliving.com.ph