Tidy Up Your Home in Five Minutes Or Less
This is the only organizing cheat sheet you need!
Hosting guests on short notice can send any homemaker into a frenzy—you have to think about the food you're serving, make up an itinerary of fun activities, and most importantly, clean your home. Shave a few hours off of your prep time by cutting your tidying time in half with a few smart hacks. Check out this list of must-dos you can try:
1. No side table? No problem. Double the use of the hardbound titles you have lying around your home by stacking them up against the wall and placing a quirky piece on top to create an instant vignette in your living area. These makeshift podiums can also double as the focal point of your decor.
2. Make an array in trays. A small catchall can control loose items and provide a quick and elegant way to make a space look more organized. It's especially great for arranging beauty products such as bottles, tubes of lipstick, and a myriad of creams on top of your vanity.
3. Set up a natural distraction. Draw attention away from the chaos in your room by putting together a mini garden in one corner. Get creative in arranging houseplants with accessories to add visual depth and texture to your display.
RL Tip: If you don't have a bell jar, don't be afraid to improvise—recycle an empty glass bottle and turn it upside down.
4. Conceal messy sleeping spaces with fluffy comforters. Pressed for time? Hide unmade beds from visitors by throwing velvety throws over it. If you do it right, this can give it a lived-in or even a more inviting feel.
5. Hide bins inside empty drawers. Standard metal trash cans can pull away from the beauty of your decor. If you have extra drawers around, consider keeping your small dumpsters inside to maintain the aesthetic of your space.
Read the original article "Tidy Tricks" in the February 2014 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App. Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
More on Realliving.com.ph