Array
Home Care

The Most Common Types Of Mold In The Home

Learn about the kind of mold that can grow inside a house and the health risks these can cause

Shares
Photography: Hans Fausto (Main Photos)

Though we all try to make our homes safe and clean at all times, it is inevitable that different kinds of bacteria, like mold, grow in the various areas of the house. To be able to prevent or remove mold growth inside the home, it is first important to know the kinds of mold that commonly exist in the household.


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Chaetomium

If you live in a building that is water-damaged and which emits a musty smell, chances are that this kind of mold is present there. It has a cotton-like texture and comes in white, though its color darkens through time.

CONTINUE READING BELOW
Recommended Videos

Stachybotrys

Also known as black mold, this type of mold is toxigenic, meaning that it is harmful, and is usually found in areas that remain damp for long periods of time, like air conditioning ducts. It can cause a variety of health issues, including neurological problems and even pulmonary bleeding in young children.


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Aureobasidium

Commonly found on wooden furniture and painted or wooden surfaces, aureobasidium can come in pink, brown, or black. Some health risks that this type of mold can trigger eye and skin infections.

Alternaria

This type of mold has a velvety texture and is commonly found in showers, bathtubs, and under sinks, as well as in dimly lit areas outside the home. It can be a sign of water damage, and can cause various allergic reactions.


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Ulocladium

This type is commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms, as well as windows that have extreme water damage. Typically black in color, ulocladium can trigger skin infections, hay fever, and asthma symptoms.

Rhizopus stolonifer

This kind of mold is the kind you see on bread, cheese, and soft fruits and vegetables, because it is dependent on sugar and starch found in food. Discard any food items you find that has this mold on it, because ingestion of this mold can trigger infections.

Source: House Beautiful

More on Realliving.com.ph

Shares

Read more stories about

Latest Stories

How to Properly Clean, Disinfect Your Child's Toys During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Cleaning and disinfecting can help lessen the spread of viruses in your home.

Pink Plants You Can Buy Online for Your Indoor Garden

Add a pop of color to your indoor garden!

Organizing Tips to Help You Declutter Your Home (and Your Mind)

These methods can help you get started!

Real Living Readers Share Their Home Improvement Projects During Quarantine

A bit of rearranging can make a big difference!

Quick Ways to Disinfect Your Plastic Chopping Board

FYI, it's one of the dirtiest items in your kitchen.

What You Need to Know About Your Meralco Bill

Customers complained that the amount on their May bill doubled or tripled compared to previous months.

This 78sqm Multi-bedroom Condo Offers an Elegant and Homey Filipino Vibe

Architect Angelo Siochi proves that statement pieces will always have a place even in small spaces.

After an Anay Infestation, This Family Went for a DIY Kitchen Makeover

Eunice Cleofas shares how she and her family refurbished their own kitchen in three weeks.

Keep Your House Smelling Fresh Using These Natural Room Scents

If you don't like overpowering fragrances, these subtle aromas will keep your home smelling fresh.
Load More Stories

Get inspiring design ideas and handy hints.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!