Smart Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Cleaning Tools
Squeeze more mileage out of your staples with these ideas
Nobody likes wasting money—as practical homeowners, we try our best to save in any way we can and that includes shopping for home essentials. Even though cleaning tools are relatively affordable, it wouldn't hurt to try and get more out of what we spent on them. Here are simple ideas you can try to lengthen the lifespan of your devices:
- Did you know that how you store your broom determines how long it will last? Make sure you get to use it for a long time by setting it up with the handle facing down and the bristles sticking up. This protects it from damage and shedding.
- Instead of soaking mop heads in soapy water, try washing them with a gentle detergent and hot water. Remember to dry it on low heat to keep the fabric from separating.
- Double the life of scrubbers by cutting sponges in half. A smaller sponge can still get the job done without having to waste a bigger piece—it might even make it easier for you to wash tiny plates and dinnerware.
- Microfiber washcloths can last a thousand washes if you keep it away from heat and fabric softeners. Don't forget to dry it with other microfiber products to prevent it from picking up lint.
- When it comes to feather dusters, a bucket of warm water and a cup of liquid detergent can do the trick. Soak it for a few minutes and run it under a faucet until the water is clear before leaving it to dry.
More on Realliving.com.ph