5 Easy Ways To Prevent A Bed Bug Infestation
A few simple precautions can get the job done
Bed bugs are like hitchhikers—they can move from one spot to another without difficulty, be it through furniture, bedding, stuffed toys or clothing. They can also be very hard to kill off as they are known to be resilient and capable of surviving months without food. To help you get rid of them before they enter your home, here are some helpful tips you can try:
1. There’s nothing wrong with thrift shopping! If you’re a person who enjoys scouring stores for secondhand furniture, make sure to inspect your coveted pieces for any signs of bed bug infestation. Look for characteristics such as dark spots, small red stains or any form of discoloration.
2. Dirty footwear brought inside the house, ordinary dust, and air can drive bed bugs into your space. Unfortunately, day-to-day sweeping won't keep them out. Get rid of any crawling creatures by vacuuming and scrubbing the floors frequently.
3. Do you live in an apartment complex where you have to share laundry facilities? Be careful about mixing your clothes with other people's garments and belongings. It might be a good idea to set your dryer on high as heat can kill bed bugs. If you have an active infestation, transport items to be washed in canvas totes instead of ordinary plastic bags.
4. Use protective covers for mattresses and pillows to eliminate any chance of bed bugs hiding in between the creases. Invest in high-quality protectors that can resist tearing or holes for a long time.
5. Lavender, rosemary, and eucalyptus plants are known to deter spreading of bed bugs. Make sure to keep a few pots in your bedroom or you can turn to alternatives such as oils and sprays.
More on Realliving.com.ph