RL Tips: Styling Your Coffee Table
Keep your coffee table stylish and clutter-free with these tips from decorator and stylist Elle Uy
A coffee table is considered as the focal point in every living room because it stores and displays your favorite collectibles and accessories. Decorator and stylist Elle Uy shares some tips on how to style and maximize the use of a versatile coffee table.
Styling by Sunshine Selga Funa. Assisted by Dagny Madamba. Photographed by Paolo Feliciano.
Read the original article ("How to style your coffee table") in the July 2014 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App now! Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
Identify the table’s main use.
- “Choosing your coffee table should be based on the functions needed for the space. If you need more storage, find one with drawers or an ottoman with a hidden bin,” Elle shares.
- If you want a more airy feel, go for a glass or clear material. You could also use two small ottomans that could serve as a table or extra seating for guests.
RL Tip: Make sure that your coffee table is proportionate from the other pieces in your room.
Consider your lifestyle when adding pieces.
- Be reminded that your furniture should suit your lifestyle. If you want to put your feet up while lounging, go for an empty or minimalist coffee table.
- If you have small children, then style it with kid-friendly accessories, to avoid accidents.
Accessorize with restraint.
- Keep your décor items in a tray for a more organized coffee table.
- Incorporate small plants like succulents on your coffee table, to spruce up your living room.
- Add coffee table books that guests can read during get-togethers.
RL Tip: “Make sure that your coffee table book serves it purpose. Leave some open space where you can put your drinks or popcorn, if it’s a movie night,” Elle says.
More on Realliving.com.ph