Home Safety: Kids and Balconies
Secure the safety of your little ones with these helpful reminders
In some homes, the balcony is the perfect place where one can sit back, relax, and enjoy the breathtaking view of the outdoors. However, there are instances when kids would also love to hang out in the area, so it's important that this space is kept safe and secure.
With your kids' safety in mind, here are different ways to childproof the balcony at home.
Main photo from www.jp-designer.com.
- Do not allow your children to play in the balcony without adult supervision. For your peace of mind, install baby gates by the door leading to the balcony.
- If you're busy with household chores, it's best to keep the doors leading to the balcony closed and locked to keep the little tots from running outside.
- Make your balcony railing safe for your kids by installing outdoor safety netting such as garden fencing to cover the spaces between the slats of the railings.
- Avoid placing tall furniture or any other home must-have that kids can climb on. As much as possible, position the seats away from balcony railings to prevent accidents.
- Keep the area clutter-free. Wipe spills as soon as possible. If your kids love to bring their toys outside, have boxes in one corner where you can keep their essentials.
- Set ground rules with your children about proper behavior when going to the balcony. Explaining the safety measures with them will surely go a long way.
Photo from Ikea.com.
More on Realliving.com.ph