DIY: Painted Wooden Planks in 6 Easy Steps
Show off your creative side by making these unique and interesting pieces for your home
When was the last time that you picked up a paintbrush? Although many of us stopped using watercolor and acrylic paint after graduation, it is never too late to dabble in the arts again!
You can start by working on these easy-to-make painted wooden planks! This project will help unleash your creativity and produce something that will beautify your personal space.
- Wooden planks
- Hand saw
- Wood glue
- Acrylic Paint
- Buy or recycle wooden planks. We recommend wooden planks that have flat, mostly even surfaces.
- If the planks are too long, you can use the hand saw to cut the pieces. If the planks are short enough, you can skip to the next step. However, for this project, we cut the planks into foot-long pieces.
- Use sandpaper to even out the surface and the edges.
- Use wood glue to attach the wooden planks.
- Cover the entire surface with acrylic paint. We used purple acrylic paint for a bright pop of color.
- Follow a pattern or make your own design. For this project, we wrote "You are GOLD" with a pencil and painted it yellow. To make the words stand out, we painted over the yellow paint with gold paint.
RL Tip: When using metallic paint, you should use regular acrylic paint first. For example, use yellow paint before covering it with gold paint. You can also use gray paint before painting over with silver paint.
RL Tip: We wrote down a few positive words and mantras to live by. You can also try painting the names (or initials) of your loved ones. This would look especially charming in a kid's bedroom!
Sheena Ira Tan-Padrigao is a muralist, artist, and art teacher. For made-to-order painted wooden planks, painted banners, paintings, and other handmade projects, you may contact her at (0923) 592-9300.