DIY: Mobile Side Table
Transform your storage basket into a rolling side table
One of the best practices that we should try to keep this year is to recycle. Whether you're thinking of adding a side table to your living room or if you have an old storage basket at home, this project will surely be a fun way to breathe new life into your piece and your space.
Crafts by Paolo Mendoza. Styling by Tala Singson. Assisted by Sunshine Selga Funa. Photographed by Dairy Darilag.
Read the original article ("Wheeled and Woven”) in the June 2014 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App now! Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
- Large woven basket with lid and lining
- 4 caster wheels (available at hardware stores)
- 1/2” thick plywood
RL Tip: You can also transform your cylindrical baskets and wooden chests into rolling side tables.
- Cut the plywood to almost the same size as the base of your basket, or at most, one inch shorter on all sides. This is where you’ll be attaching the caster wheels.
- Mark where your casters will be placed. Measure about 3.5 inches from each corner. Remember to place the center of the wheels’ screw plates directly on the measured point.
- Take out the lining of the basket. Place the plywood inside, making sure it sits right at the center.
- Screw the casters into position all the way through the plywood. Keep the plywood steady as you do this.
- Put the lining back, then secure the lid. You now have a mobile side table/storage basket!
- Depending on your style, you may also spray paint the basket white or in a bright color.