DIY: Colorful Painted Banners
Brighten up your rooms with simple-to-make pieces for your walls
Did you know that taking on a DIY project is relaxing and therapeutic? Keeping your hands busy can keep your mind off any problems that you may be facing at home or at work. More importantly, the things that you worked on can instantly add charm, color, and character to your space!
For this DIY session, artist Sheena Ira Tan-Padrigao teaches us how to create colorful painted banners.
- Canvas or old fabric
- Old ribbon
- Needle and thread
- Acrylic Paint
RL Tip: Save money and be kind to the environment by recycling old fabric, branches, and ribbons!
- Cut the fabric according to your desired shape and size.
- Fold an inch near the top so you can insert a branch for hanging the banner up.
- Sew the fold to create a hole.
- Sew an inch around the edges for a clean finish.
- Draw your chosen design. It can be your favorite word, motto, or pattern. For this project, we chose simple inspirational messages like "Be You" | "Go Live Your Dream" | and "Wear A Smile"
RL Tip: If you aren't too confident just yet, you can simply spell out your name or the first letter of your name!
- Paint on the banner using a paint brush and acrylic paint. Use your sketch as your guide.
- Insert the branch.
- Tie a ribbon on both ends so you can hang the banner up.
Optional: Make the banner more interesting by sewing on beads, ribbons, and other cute details.
Sheena Ira Tan-Padrigao is a muralist, artist, and art teacher. For made-to-order banners, paintings, and other handmade projects, you may contact her at (0923) 592-9300.
More on Realliving.com.ph