Array
Tips and Guides

Are You Ready To Buy A New Home?

All set to make a big investment? Read this first!

Shares
Photography: Jilson Tiu & Dairy Darilag (Main Photos)

Purchasing real estate property is exciting, especially if it is your first time. However, it can also be daunting. Before signing any documents, read up on what real estate broker Rochelle Granali has to say about making this once-in-a-lifetime investment: 


1. Don't bite more than you can chew. 

A good rule of thumb is to allot a maximum of 30% of your income for amortization. Bank home loans vary and usually allot a 15-year term payment for a condominium and 20 years for a house and lot.

If you find bank interests too high, consider PAG-IBIG which offers Risk-Based Pricing Adjustments. Keep in mind that the amount loaned does not include association dues and parking fees. These are computed usually on a per-square-meter basis, but it varies from developer to developer.


2. Know your rights as a real estate buyer. 

The Maceda Law, also known as The Realty Installment Buyer Act or Republic Act 6552, is a law that is a "public policy [that] protects buyers of real estate on installment payments against onerous and oppressive conditions. 

Meanwhile, PD 957 is commonly known as Subdivision and Condominium Buyers' Protective Decree. The primary purpose of this decree is to protect the buyers of condominium projects and subdivision developments against misrepresentations and fraudulent activities of developers, settlers and operators.  


3. Don't be easily enticed by the "no down payment" promise. 

This does not mean the developer is giving you a free pass when it comes to playing the property's equity. It only means you are not required to pay the full amount in one go. This is because the down payment (or the equity) of the property is stretched throughout the allowable term given by the developer. 

For example, most developers usually require 20%  down payment, and the rest can be bank-financed or HDMF-financed (PAG-IBIG). With a "no down payment" scheme, the actual equity price is paid in increments over a period of several months or years. And it is only when that 20% downpayment is completed and when a loan for the remaining 80% has been taken out that the buyer can start moving into his or her property. So essentially, there is still a downpayment required. 

This article is based on a previously published article in November 2015 and orginally appeared in the August 2015 issue of Real Living Magazine. 

More on Realliving.com.ph

How We Bought A Condo Unit As Newlyweds

4 Common Questions on Renting or Buying a Home

Here's Everything You Need To Know About Buying A Condo

Shares

Latest Stories

What Amenities Do Millennials Look for in Condos?

Listen up, folks. Millennials dish on their condo non-negotiables.

8 Ways To Use The Color Ultra Violet At Home

Pantone's Color of the Year for 2018 is surprisingly versatile—you can use it as an accent, or as an overall hue

5 Ways To Decorate Your Home Without Spending Anything

Working with a tight budget? These ideas won't cost you a single peso.

5 Tips For Taking Care of A Family Home

Maintaining a mid-century property can be easy with this handy guide

A Cozy Industrial Style Condo Unit You’d Love To Come Home To

This 96sqm home features a balance between homey and edgy, with handpicked details and travel finds making it extra special and personal

A Feng Shui Guide for Every Room in Your House

As we approach the Year of the Dog, it’s time to clear your space and balance out your energies at home

Easy Small Space Tricks From An Interior Designer

Solve your tiny floor area woes with these ideas

Manila's Historic Houses Are Grand and Beautiful

Let's take a trip down memory lane and have a look at the stately mansions from Manila's bygone era of grandeur

10 More Places To Visit in Antipolo This Weekend

Because there's always something new to experience in art, culture, and food at this Northeastern city!

6 Colors You Never Thought You Could Use in Small Spaces

It’s time to give your go-to white and neutrals a break

See The World's Largest Picture Frame in Dubai

Designed by award-winning architect Fernando Donis, it's a marvel like no other

10 Things Millennials Want In Home Design

Condo units? Check. Industrial-hip style? Definitely. But the other items on their home wish list will surprise you!
Load More Stories

Get inspiring design ideas and handy hints.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!