7 Ways to Take Care of Your Mattress
Give your comfy piece a much needed TLC
After a long day at work, it feels good to crawl under your sheets and have a good night's sleep. The bed is your private and relaxing sanctuary that's why it's important to keep the mattress firm and ready for a rejuvenating doze.
All photos in this feature are by Jun Pinzon
- Usually, you sleep in the same spot every night. It is advisable to turn your mattress over every four months to help even out the coils under your bed and to avoid slopes.
- To remove the accumulated dust in your mattress, vacuum your mattress every three months. This is also advisable if you have rhinitis or asthma, because most allergens come from your bed’s dust. Keep in mind these tips for an asthma-friendly home.
- Air out your mattress, at least once a week to avoid bad odor.
- Remind your kids to avoid jumping on the bed. This may cause a tear in your mattress which can then damage its filling. Doing this will help you avoid injuries as well.
- If your mattress has stains, clean it with a mild detergent soap and a damp cloth. Don’t use harsh chemicals because this might damage your fabric’s materials.
- Refrain from placing a board between your box spring and your mattress. The board may cause interference to the proper support during sleep. If you feel that your bed needs extra support, it’s best to purchase a new mattress with the proper firmness.
- Try covering your mattress with a cotton mattress pad. This will help absorb sweat and oil from your skin. It is also easy to wash and dries easily.
More on Realliving.com.ph