8 Common Causes of Fires in Pinoy Homes
Just in time for Fire Prevention Month, learn how to protect your family and your property
In 1966, then-Philippine President Ferdinand E. Marcos signed Proclamation No. 115-A. According to this proclamation, each month should be devoted to a particular aspect of safety and accident prevention. For example, March is recognized as Fire Prevention Month.
In line with this, we have prepared a list of potential fire hazards that may be under your own roof. To protect your family and home, discover the common causes of fires and learn how to deal with them.
Remember to clean the areas in and around your house regularly. You should immediately dispose of dried leaves, wood shavings, and other items that may easily catch fire.
- Lights dim or flicker when you use another appliance
- You have to disconnect one gadget or appliance to plug in another
- You have to use too many extension cords
- Your fuses blow or your circuit breakers trip frequently
To protect your family, hire a licensed electrician to check your electrical installations regularly. Ask him to repair or replace frayed or faulty wiring and fixtures.
Apart from your wiring, your electrical appliances and equipment may be putting your home at risk.
To make sure that your family's welfare is never compromised, these are the things that you should never allow in your home:
- Electrical cords with loose or frayed cords/plugs
- Outlets or electrical cords overloaded with plugs
- Electrical wires running under rugs or heavy furniture
- DIY electrical projects
- Appliances and gadgets that are plugged in even when not in use
Photo from en.wikipedia.org
Almost every homeowner has been guilty of leaving the stove or oven unattended. While we think that it is harmless to go to another room for a minute or two, it may lead to accidents.
To prevent kitchen fires, always keep combustibles like oven mitts, paper towels, and dish rags away from heat sources. You should also pay close attention to your cooking. (Read: no more quick TV breaks!)
Although candles can create a warm, cozy, and romantic feel in the home, they can also be the cause of fires!
For a safe space, keep your candles on a sturdy holder on an even surface. Make sure that they are out of reach of children and pets and always blow them out before leaving the room.
On that note, always keep your matches, lighters, and torches in places that your children can't reach. Bored and curious kids might inadvertently set things on fire.
Did you know that fuels, solvents, cleaning agents, thinners, adhesives, paints, and other liquids can ignite or explode if stored improperly? Always store flammable liquids in approved containers in a cool, ventilated area outside your home.
If someone in your home smokes, always use large and deep ashtrays. Clean the ashtrays regularly and place them away from materials that burn easily. You should also check for cigarette embers or butts that can cause furniture to burst into flames. As an added safety measure, you may also prohibit smoking in the bedroom.
More on Realliving.com.ph