5 Must-Try Bathroom Trends To Usher In 2017
Get expert tips from design professionals on how you can achieve the T&B of your dreams
While many of us still can't believe that another year has come and gone, a few are already planning their next home improvement project to start the year with a bang. Many are considering a paint job, some are thinking about investing in new pieces of furniture, and there are those who can't wait to work on a minor or major renovation project.
Aside from rethinking your home's layout, you may want to take things to a whole new level by working with a trend in mind when updating an area's look. For the bathroom alone, there are five trends you can consider and experiment with! Let these tips and ideas from interior designer Misty Floro and architect Ivy Tablante-Darilag inspire and guide you:
While glass doors can define spaces while still maintaining an open look, black metal-framed doors add an edgy vibe while helping homeowners achieve an industrial, modern, or mid-century aesthetic. Framed doors can also seal water and steam better. Accomplish this trend with these tips:
1. Use these doors as partition or as a bathroom door. If you have a big bathroom, use it to separate the bath or show area from the rest of the space.
2. Ivy advises homeowners to work with professionals when installing these as the doors tend to be heavy. Inquire if the manufacturer can install the door for you to make sure that tracks and hinges are level and placed properly.
3. Misty suggests investing in Rimadesio doors as these have an aluminum frame for a minimalist, stylish, and functional look. Steel and glass suppliers can also fabricate such doors.
After a long day outside, we all look forward to a long and satisfying bath. What more if you have a tub waiting for you? A bathtub adds a luxe meets vintage appeal to any T&B. Invest in one if you want to have a classic style bathroom or if you simply want to reward yourself.
1. Misty advises that space and dimensions be considered as you need ample room to be able to install a clawfoot tub. Ask your supplier if they can check your bathroom to see if there are proper provisions for water dain and water source.
2. Clawfoot tubs are freestanding—giving you the freedom to place it anywhere in a spacious bathroom. It also requires the same cleaning like any typical tub. However, if your chosen piece has steel or brass parts, it's best to ask your supplier how to best maintain it.
RL Tip: Living in a condo? Measure the tub you're eyeing first and see if it can fit through your door.
Got a compact bathroom in need of sprucing up? Pedestal sinks are affordable and easy to install! Here's how you can make it work:
1. Take note of proportion. "Choose according to the design theme you're going for, and check that the size is proportional to the size of your bathroom," says Ivy. For similar options to the one in the photo, visit the Sanitec Showroom at #236, E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue, Barangay Don Manuel, Quezon City.
2. Perhaps the challenging part about installing pedestal sinks is the maintenance. Carefully slide the ceramic pedastal out to gain access to the plumbing behind it. During the purchase, inquire about how you can attach and detach the pedestal so you can clean it properly.
3. Choose the size of your sink carefully. There should be enough space around it and your faucet needs to fit in it as well. To ensure a perfect fit, it's best to buy from the same brand.
These tiles add an elegant appeal to your bathroom while increasing its value. Work with these tiles if you're aiming for a contemporary, glam, or mid-century look.
1. Make the most of your visit to the Sanitec showroom by checking out the tile from the Pætchwork Collection by Italian architect and designer Piero Lissoni for Cotto (as seen in photo).
2. The distinct lines of the tiles can give your bathroom a sleek and streamlined appeal.
3. Since designer tiles are luxe pieces, make sure you choose and use grout that matches the color of your tiles for a complete impact.
It's safe to say that these tiles are superstars in their own right. Aside from having a timeless appeal, you can use it in the kitchen, bathroom, and other areas at home, too! Commonly seen as part of industrial-inspired interiors, subway tiles can also complete classic and modern bathrooms.
1. Can't decide on the grout to use? It all boils down to what you want to highlight. "If you want to accentuate the tile, match the grout color to the tile color. If you want to accentuate the pattern or layout of the tiles, choose a contrasting grout color," Misty suggests. Safe options include gray, beige, and brown.
2. Ask a pro or expert to install the tiles for you as they have proper knowledge on the adhesives to use, how to align the tiles, and the application of grout as well.
3. Keep your subway tiles in tip-top shape by wiping them regulary using a damp cloth and cleanser. You can also brush the grout to avoid mold and mildew buildup.
Read the original article ("Just Right") in the May 2016 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App. Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
PHOTOS: Dairy Darilag and Michael Angelo Chua (Subway tiles)
More on Realliving.com.ph