3 Types Of Water Features You Can Add To Your Garden
It's time to go with the flow!
There’s nothing like the sound of trickling water combined with the beauty of nature to lull you into a relaxed state. This is probably why a lot of homeowners are investing in water features for their outdoor spaces. If you're thinking about creating your own mini paradise as well, here are some smart options you can choose from:
1. CUSTOM MADE. This type of feature works best for homes with a lot of open spaces and odd corners that can be maximized. A downside to custom-made pieces, however, is that they can be more expensive and will most probably be fixed in place. It is important to consider the feature’s location, because once it’s done it will be there for good.
2. READY-MADE. If you're not into the idea of installing a permanent set-up in your garden, you can opt for ready-made units instead. These are usually movable and can be bought in specialty gardening stores. Feel free to choose from multilevel basins, wall-mounted fountains, and small dishes that can be displayed on tabletops.
3. PONDS. This feature will require landscaping and design so it may be best to hire a pro who specializes in these things. After all, a pond is not as simple to build as it looks—here are some basic things to consider before building one:
- Location. The best location for a pond is where residents and visitors can appreciate it. If you have a natural spring, work with it or around it but don’t try to stop its natural flow.
- Safety. If you have toddlers, can they be prevented from getting near the pond without supervision? Is the pond at a safe distance from a pathway to make sure there are no accidental swimmers?
- Purpose of the pond. Will it be used as a lily pond or a fish pond? A fish pond needs to have a minimum depth depending on the type of fish you want to have.
Read the original article ("Go With The Flow") in the March 2006 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App. Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
More on Realliving.com.ph