10 Ways to Care for Your Books
Do you love reading books? Care for your must-reads with the help of these ideas
Books are considered as prized possessions in every home. Aside from the information that we get from reading them, books can also be used as chic décor in any room. Give them some tender loving care with the help of these tips.
Main photo from domainehome.com.
- As much as possible, use a bookmark when marking your current page and avoid folding pages.
- To keep your books clean, use a feather duster to remove dirt. Be sure to dust from the spine outward so that dust doesn't fall behind the spine.
- Minimize dust accumulation by hanging linen on the shelves. Simply measure the length of the shelf with the linen and make sure it is proportionate to the top of the shortest book. Use tape or thumbtacks to secure the linen tightly.
- Remove your books from the shelf yearly, fresh air can prevent your books from deteriorating.
- Stack heavy books in piles. Do not stack them on thin books because the pile might fall.
Photo by Paolo Feliciano. Pictorial Direction by Dagny Madamba.
- Avoid storing your books near a hot area (such as windows or doors) because heat can damage its pages.
- Mold usually grows in books if it is not taken care of properly. Prevent this by storing books in a damp area with exterior walls.
- Do not overload your shelf with too many books because it can damage its spine and outer covering. As much as possible, leave ample space between the shelves so that it’s easy to pull out a book.
- Handle your books with care. Make sure your hands are clean and dry. Food residue and oil may cause damage.
- Remove a book from the shelf properly by pushing two books next to it then clasp the edge of the spine. Do not pull the top of the spine directly.
Do you have damaged books? Learn how you can save damaged books here.
Photo from domainehome.com
More on Realliving.com.ph