Array
Appliances

This One Home Appliance Can Cause A Fire

Hint: Did you straighten your hair this morning?

Shares
Photography: Kurt Alvarez (Main Photo-dresser)

One morning in 2009, homeowner (and March 2017 Makeover Winner) Princess Romero was rushing to work, according to this article by Sunshine Funa. Unfortunately, she accidentally forgot to do one important thing: unplug her hair iron.

Her older sister, who was staying in an adjacent room, soon saw smoke coming out from underneath the door of Princess’s room. The family panicked, and the father tried to put out the flames, which nearly consumed the entire room, but he suffered burns to his arms.

Aside from the father, no other members of the family sustained any injuries, and Princess had the happy ending of winning a makeover of her room. But how many other fires could happen because of this innocent hair-styling appliance?


Apparently, any hair straightener or heat-generating styling tool can pose a fire risk in your home, according to this article on ismyhomesafe.ca. A hair straightening iron or curling iron is especially tricky, because unlike hair dryers, these do not make a sound when turned on.

The appliance per se is safe to use, but if you leave the appliance turned on and heating up on top of a combustible material like a wooden tabletop or a bed, then that could potentially cause a fire. So what can you do to avoid this dangerous accident?

  • First, don’t store the appliance until it’s completely cooled down, office-lateness-be-damned.
  • Second, unplug the appliance right after using it. 
  • Also, wrap the cord around the appliance once it’s cooled, as the cord itself can pose a strangling or tripping danger to children.
  • Third, get inspiration from this hack and take a photo of your unplugged hair straightener before you leave the house—it sounds silly, but you can always check your phone to see if you’ve actually unplugged the thing. (While you’re at it, you might want to take a photo of your stove, too!)

More on Realliving.com.ph

Shares

Latest Stories

Future Condo Owners Can Demand Wi-Fi Installation With a QR Code

Ortigas & Co. executive explains how property developers are innovating while remaining cautious

These 7 Things Should Be Taken Out Of Your Bedroom

Get rid of these things and make your bedroom a place where you can unwind from the stress of everyday life

All the Plants We Love in Toni Gonzaga’s Home

She has palms and pots of Philodendron in the different parts of the house

Different Gate and Fence Designs For Modern Minimalist Homes

Because there are different ways to do modern minimalist home exteriors

5 Mistakes You're Making When Storing Food in the Refrigerator

Maximize the space and keep your food fresh by organizing it properly

9 Things To Do In Poblacion, Makati

There's drinking and eating, of course. But there's a lot to experience, arts and culture-wise, in this dynamic Makati hotspot.

These Things Inside Your Home May Be Making You Ill

Without proper and regular cleaning, you could be making your house a breeding ground of bacteria

The Most Common Types Of Mold In The Home

Learn about the kind of mold that can grow inside a house and the health risks these can cause

8 Pantry Organizers You Can Count On

Keep your supplies in place with these trusty essentials

Expect Heavy Traffic as Rockwell Bridge Nears 30-Month Closure

The new bridge to replace it will cost Php1.2B and won't be completed until 2020

A Classic Townhouse In Quezon City With An Elegant, Neutral Palette

An interplay of classic American style and sophisticated design complete this dream home

This Pinay Exhibited Her Up-cycled Furniture At Paris Design Week

Willie Garcia, an interior designer and eco-warrior, showed her up-cycled creations at this international design fair
Load More Stories

Get inspiring design ideas and handy hints.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!