7 Finishes You Can Try For Custom-Made Pieces
Just like everything else, it's all in the details
Whether you have distinct taste or you simply have a penchant for unique finds, customized furniture and accessories can give your home a one-of-a-kind look. If you have been working with made-to-order items for a while, you'd know that these exquisite finishing details are the hallmark of custom-made pieces—on the other hand, if you're diving into it for the first time, here's what to expect:
1. Specialty finishes
Custom-made furniture gives you a whole range of finishes to choose from—stains, silver leafing, and delicate crackle finishes.
2. Traditional detailing
Traditional pieces have a wealth of detail (like turned legs) that look best when custom-made, since it takes exceptional skill and craftsmanship to execute them. Correct proportion and material treatment are essential to create a beautiful piece.
3. Unusual materials
Unusual materials like animal skins won't look right if upholstered improperly. Customized furnishing can work with unusual upholstery like trendy cowhide. They'll also know where to source these materials.
4. Special trimmings
Embellishments are the finishing flourishes on customized furnishings. Get familiar with a few:
- Piping. Hide seams on chairs, sofas and pillows. It can be a silk-braid trim as shown or made of the upholstery fabric itself.
- Flange. This two to three-inch fabric edging on pillowcases is a simple detail perfect for modern interiors.
- Button tufting. Button tufting adds a bold touch to both furniture and accessories. Use one big button for pillows or a series for upholstered seating.
- Fringes. Fringe trim adds a flamboyant touch and creates a sense of movement. It comes in many styles—from the pompom trim at left to the standard, loose-hanging knotted trim.
WHERE TO SHOP:
- Aurora Boulevard, Quezon City
- (02) 241-2677
- can customize simple designs of lamps if ordered in bulk and restore old lighting fixtures
- 4/F, SM Megamall, Building D, EDSA, Mandaluyong City
- (02) 570-0000
- can refer you to professional seamstresses upon purchasing their fabric
- 235 Nicanor Garcia Street, Bel Air II, Makati City
- [email protected]
- can customize most of their designs to fit your space with the help of their in-house design consultants
Read the original article ("It's All In The Details") in the December 2004 issue of Real Living Magazine. Download your digital copy of Real Living on the Real Living App now! Log on to summitnewsstand.com.ph/real-living for more details.
More on Realliving.com.ph