Array
Home Care

The Most Common Types Of Mold In The Home

Learn about the kind of mold that can grow inside a house and the health risks these can cause

Shares
Photography: Hans Fausto (Main Photos)

Though we all try to make our homes safe and clean at all times, it is inevitable that different kinds of bacteria, like mold, grow in the various areas of the house. To be able to prevent or remove mold growth inside the home, it is first important to know the kinds of mold that commonly exist in the household.


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Chaetomium

If you live in a building that is water-damaged and which emits a musty smell, chances are that this kind of mold is present there. It has a cotton-like texture and comes in white, though its color darkens through time.

CONTINUE READING BELOW
Recommended Videos

Stachybotrys

Also known as black mold, this type of mold is toxigenic, meaning that it is harmful, and is usually found in areas that remain damp for long periods of time, like air conditioning ducts. It can cause a variety of health issues, including neurological problems and even pulmonary bleeding in young children.


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Aureobasidium

Commonly found on wooden furniture and painted or wooden surfaces, aureobasidium can come in pink, brown, or black. Some health risks that this type of mold can trigger eye and skin infections.

Alternaria

This type of mold has a velvety texture and is commonly found in showers, bathtubs, and under sinks, as well as in dimly lit areas outside the home. It can be a sign of water damage, and can cause various allergic reactions.


ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Ulocladium

This type is commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms, as well as windows that have extreme water damage. Typically black in color, ulocladium can trigger skin infections, hay fever, and asthma symptoms.

Rhizopus stolonifer

This kind of mold is the kind you see on bread, cheese, and soft fruits and vegetables, because it is dependent on sugar and starch found in food. Discard any food items you find that has this mold on it, because ingestion of this mold can trigger infections.

Source: House Beautiful

More on Realliving.com.ph

Shares

Read more stories about

Latest Stories

LJ Moreno, Jimmy Alapag Give a Tour of Their Two-Story Home in the States

The "formal living room," as LJ calls it, is spacious!

This Woman Has a Pet Cemetery in Her Home in Cebu City

This homeowner dedicated a special spot in her garden for her beloved pets.

WATCH: The Details We Love About Bea Alonzo's Christmas Tree

They added twigs to the tree to make it look more natural!

See How Andi Eigenmann Organized Her Home

She turned her bar into a sanitation area!

Colors You'll Want to Paint Your Living Room With

Make it cozy, inviting, and most importantly, restful.

See How This Homeowner Gave Her Small Kitchen a Makeover

Check out how she maximized her space!

6 Beginner-Friendly Houseplants You Can Give as Gifts This Christmas

You might even want to get an extra one for yourself!

Here's Where You Can Shop Ceramic Plates, Bowls, and More for as Low as P50

Look for this stall the next time you're in Dapitan Arcade!

This Is the Exact Month IKEA Is Set to Open in Manila

We know when the online store is opening, too!
Load More Stories

Get inspiring design ideas and handy hints.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!