Since it’s the Ultimate Makeover season for entries (read our March or April issue for the announcement), I decided to answer a few Frequently Asked Questions about entering out makeover contest:
1. Can we join even if you’ve already chosen a Ultimate Makeover Winner? Yes you can. Those who’ve entered the Ultimate Makeover contest but did not win for the Ultimate, still have a chance to be chosen for one of our monthly makeovers. Meanwhile, those who haven’t entered yet and want to join our minor (but still fab) monthly makeovers can send their entries to the addresses below.
2. In that case, where can we send our entries to? You can email it to either of both of these email addresses: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org (in case the summitmedia email gets full). Or send it by snailmail or hand-carry it with this address on the envelope:
REAL LIVING MAKEOVER CONTEST, c/o Marketing 2, Summit Media, 7/F Cybergate Tower 3, Robinsons Pioneer Complex, Pioneer St., Mandaluyong City
3. Do we really need to send more than one photo? Yes, sending approximately 3 to 4 photos of your desired area helps us and the makeover designer in choosing a winner. Choose your desired room and shoot different areas of it. If it has any damages or furniture you don’t like, take pictures of those too, so we’ll know what to fix, in case you’re chosen. Cellphone photos are OK, as long as they’re colored, relatively clear, and not too fuzzy.
4. Why do you have to do oculars? Even if we’ve seen the photos, we need to assess the current state of your home, if we’ve chosen you for our shortlist, especially since some entries have been sent months ago. The RL team and/or the makeover designer need to assess if the renovation of your space will fit into the current allotted budget given to us that month, and if repairs can be done within the time frame and deadline given for the makeover.
We also take into consideration your living conditions, i.e. if you have infants and need to move out during the length of the renovation, if your space needs structural repair and it fits into our budget, and also if you are prepared emotionally to deal with an ongoing renovation even while living there. Actual construction happens, sometimes walls get torn down in the course of renovation, and you would have to deal with that.
5. Kung na-ocular na ako, ibig sabihin ba ay nanalo na ako? Having an ocular on your house done by the RL team and/or our makeover designer does not mean you have won. This only means you have been included in our shortlist for that month. You will only know you have won if you’ve received an official message/email from the RL team clearly stating that you have won. And you won’t miss the message, because the next thing we’d ask you is if you’d be free on a certain date to start the renovation works.
6. Kung sira-ulo ako na homeowner, pipiliin ninyo pa ba ako? Not necessarily, but you can bet that you’re not at the top of our list—yet another reason to do ocular visits, to actually meet you, the homeowner. Sorry for this last bit (it’s not an FAQ), but we have encountered more than one makeover winner run amok during the course of the renovation—like what happened a few years ago when an irate homeowner held the designer, then-managing ed Tisha and me in a room and threatened to end our lives because he didn’t like the makeover we did (the makeover was perfectly fine). Tinutulungan mo na nga, nanganib pa ang buhay namin.
Also, if your friend or neighbor has won a makeover, be happy for them—there’s a reason why they deserve it. We’ve received quite a number of scathing mail from jealous neighbors and friends saying the winners didn’t deserve it, and wishing them ill. C’mon guys, be decent citizens!
Well I hope this answers a lot of questions. Good luck, guys!